Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a hate crime?

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, a hate crime is a “crime of violence, property damage, or threat that is motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias based on race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, physical or mental disability, or sexual orientation.”

According to the Oregon Department of Justice, a hate crime occurs when one person intentionally subjects another to offensive physical contact, threatens or inflicts physical injury, or threatens or causes damage to the property of another person because of their race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. A hate crime may also target a person's family member.

How can I report a hate crime, bias, discrimination or discriminatory harassment? 

If it is an emergency, dial 9-1-1 to be connected to the police.

If you are a student who has experienced a discrimination-related incident and would like to report it, please call the Office of the Dean of Students at 541-346-3216. Faculty and staff should call the Office of Investigations and Civil Rights Compliance at 541-346-3123. Staff from these offices will offer support and begin to discuss next steps with callers. Students and employees who wish to discuss their reporting options confidentiality should contact one of the offices or services listed below:

Students and employees who believe they have experienced a crime may report it directly to the University of Oregon Police Department by calling 541-346-2919.

What will happen if I report an incident to the university?

By reporting the incident, the university can connect you to a number of support options available on campus including help with academic problems, class schedules, financial aid, housing arrangements, transportation, work place accommodations and assistance in receiving health and counseling services. You are NOT required to provide additional information about the incident or participate in a university investigation in order to receive reasonable support services.

If you report information to a university employee designated confidential, that employee does not have an obligation to report the information to the Office of Investigations and Civil Rights Compliance. To provide accommodation(s) requested by the impacted student, confidential employees may need to share limited information with those involved with implementing the accommodation(s).

When a responsible employee receives information about an incident of discrimination or harassment, the employee is required to share that information with the Office of Investigations and Civil Rights Compliance. The university has a responsibility to take action to stop discrimination or harassment and to prevent its reoccurrence. More information about the university’s response to incidents of prohibited discrimination can be found here.

If the alleged wrongdoer is not affiliated with the University of Oregon or if the underlying action does not rise to the level of discrimination or discriminatory harassment but still negatively impacts the student or employee, the university’s response to the report of an incident will be focused primarily on providing services and accommodations to the impacted person and addressing any potential safety issues on campus.

Is there a way to keep the person who did this away from me?

Yes. You have several options for keeping this person from contacting you. If this person is another student, the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards can send them what is known as a “no-contact letter,” which instructs this person that they can no longer have any form of contact with you. If they choose to violate this letter, they may face sanctions through the university’s conduct system.

If I tell the university what has happened to me, will my friends, family, professors, etc., find out?

Only a few specially trained individuals will ever know that you reported to the university and their primary goal will be to help provide support and services to you. Students 18 years or older are protected by FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), which means that we cannot disclose information about your report to your family or friends without your written consent. However, it is important to understand that in some instances, the university will need to share information with the accused party in order for that person to have an opportunity to respond to the incident.

What if I live in the same residence hall or apartment as the person who discriminated against me?

You have the right to feel safe in your living situation. If you live in the same residence hall as the alleged harasser, you have options including moving the alleged wrongdoer or giving you the option of moving.

What if I have classes with the person who discriminated against me?

You have the right to feel safe in attending your classes, and we are here to help. If you share classes or any other university-affiliated activity with the alleged harasser, we may be able to remove that person. If you prefer, we can provide assistance in changing your schedule as well. These accommodations are provided with the highest level of confidentially possible.

Can I receive help through the university without having to tell them who discriminated against me?

Yes. A student is NOT required to provide additional information about the incident or participate in a university investigation in order to receive services.

If I report to the university, will I be forced to press criminal charges or give information against the accused student in university conduct proceedings?

If you are over the age of 18 you have the right to choose if you want to press criminal charges. While the university does have a legal obligation to investigate, you do not have to participate in the investigation or provide any additional information. In cases where the impacted student chooses not to provide more information to the university’s investigation, it is unlikely that the investigation will continue. However, there are circumstances where the university has an obligation to proceed with a formal process without the cooperation of the impacted student in order to protect the safety of the campus community. The safety of the student impacted by discrimination is the highest priority of the university.